“Do not listen to silly people. There is no wrong. There are no rules, except maybe, keep people turning the pages and do not leave them feeling cheated at the end.”
Big day today. We just released a big release, one that took 10 years.
Yes, this release is a milestone 10 years in the making. In fact, this release is the first release that reflects the original vision - the one we had in 2003 to build a new, integrated toolset for media makers, that was Internet savvy.
A quick history of how we got here.
In 2004, we released an Alpha of “Roll Call”, a web service for managing extras, later named ‘Celtx’ when it went to Beta and when we decided to address the broader problem of pre-production.
We had started as a pure web service, but changed our tech architecture to address early feedback that we “had to have ‘Save As’”. So we leveraged the OSS, Mozilla to build a hybrid application that worked both offline and online. It was all the rage in 2004.
By 2006, the first sensible versions of the desktop software were released. The first month’s cookie data showed 100 very active users.
We continued to add more features to the desktop, and experimented with various web services, both internal (UI for sharing was in the desktop) and external (Project Central). Eventually we added Studios, our project to project based web service.
In 2010, after adding Scheduling to the desktop, the number one feature request was Budgeting. And the user count on the desktop had hit 2M+.
Although things were going well, we made a tough decision midway through 2010 to stop development on the desktop in favour of spinning up a true SaaS offering. We knew that’s where it’s was all headed, so we went to work on Edge.
Edge goes live in 2012. A Team tier is added in 2013.
And now today, we just added Scheduling and Budgeting, and with that, our online services, Edge and Team, now exceed the functionality of the desktop, for first time.
This makes us very happy.
Funny how it doesn’t seem like a lot of work, written this way. All appears linear and tidy and pre-destined, when of course the truth was quite different.
Any ways, a big day for a great team, and for our users, who we thanks immensely.
Mark, for Team Celtx!
Capture your next great idea with Celtx Shots - the first app with both storyboarding and set blocking built-in.
Shots syncs with Celtx online workspaces and Celtx Shots on the iPad/iPhone, so you can create anytime, anywhere.
→ Add images to create dynamic storyboards.
→ Sketch informative setups quickly and easily using 600+ clip art images.
→ Save storyboards as animatic movie files to communicate your vision.
* Create and edit multi-sequence, multi-shot storyboards.
* Block camera, lighting, talent, and equipment setups.
* Sync storyboards with Celtx Shots on your iPad/iPhone.
* Sync and share storyboards with Celtx online workspaces.
* View storyboard and blocking animatics with the built-in player.
* Save storyboard and blocking animatics as movie files (.avi)
* Resize, rotate and flip storyboard images in-app.
Late last night we added two new features to the Celtx Cloud.
1. Edge Script Editor Notes – we added support for embedded coloured Notes in the Edge editor (you’ll see a new icon in the toolbar for adding a new Note). Notes sync across all platforms – Desktop, Cloud and Mobile – so for example, Notes added to a script from Celtx Script for iOS and Android or Script for Mac OSX will show up in your Edge editor and vice versa.
2. Ask Celtx – accessed from the Tiles Page (the one you see after logging in), Ask Celtx is a Q&A style forum. You can use Ask Celtx for support or to canvass the Celtx Community for information and advice or to answer questions from other users. Ask Celtx is public, meaning anyone can review questions and answers, but you need a Celtx Account to ask a question (no need to have an active subscription, just an account). Give it a whirl when you can. [The plan is for Ask Celtx to replace the Celtx Forums as the latter has become almost unusable due to the sPaM bots wreaking havoc.]
Hope this is good! Mark, CEO for Team Celtx.